Monday, April 15, 2013

Lobster Newburg

My trip was great.  I could have used another 10 days on the beautiful island of St. Lucia.  The weather was perfect, around 85 degrees every single day.  The people were wonderful, the food was delicious and the scenery was breathtaking.  Go check on my pictures on ginniecolemanphotography.com.

Anyway, right before I left I came up with this spin on the traditional Lobster Newburg that I think you might like, unless you are a purist and don't eat dairy.  But I am fortunate enough to be able to get my hands on grass fed dairy, so once in awhile I use it.  This is once in awhile and totally worth it.  I promise.  Remember, don't thumb your nose...moderation in all things.  Use this as a cheat meal!

2 tbsp. ghee
1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 egg yolks
1 c. heavy cream
3/4 c. kerrygold butter
3 tbsp. sherry
1 generous pinch saffron
pinch of ground nutmeg and ground cayenne pepper
salt to taste
1 lb. lobster meat, cooked and chopped into bite size pieces

Melt the ghee in a large saute pan over medium heat.  Add the asparagus, cooking until tender. Remove from pan.  Mix the egg yolks and the cream together in a small bowl.  Melt the butter in the pan and then slowly add in the cream mixture, whisking well.  Add the saffron, nutmeg, and pepper, again whisking.  Cook until the mixture starts to thicken, without boiling.  With the cream coats a spoon, about 10-15 minutes, salt to taste.  Then add the asparagus and lobster.  Finish with freshly ground white pepper.

Serve alone or over almond flour biscuits.











No comments:

Post a Comment