Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Garlic Mushrooms

I can't imagine there are people out there that don't like mushrooms.  Boy are you missing out.  I suggest you learn to like them.  Once you do, you'll wonder how you ever ate without ever enjoying them.

Don't think that is possible?  Let me tell you, it is!  When I graduated high school last year (ha ha), I liked carrots, celery, and potatoes.  That's it.  Pretty simple.  But I LEARNED to like everything else.  And now there really is only one thing I don't like.  Olives.  Have over 15 different olive oils, but hate olives.  You figure that one out.

Anyway, I was craving steak last night and nothing goes better with steak than either mushrooms or a nice Roquefort sauce.  But right now I am on Day 4 of the 21 day sugar detox and I can't have dairy (which, on a side note, as a mostly paleo follower I do have raw dairy on occasion).  So mushrooms it was.

And delicious they were!

Garlic Mushrooms

1 tbsp. olive oil
12 cloves garlic, whole
16 ounces baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and stem removed*
1/4 c. brandy
2 tbsp. ghee
1 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced

Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium low heat.  Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, until the garlic turns golden brown.  Remove from the pan and set aside.

Increase the heat to medium high and then add the mushrooms.  Stirring often, cook about 7-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are almost cooked and are caramelized.  

Reduce heat to medium and slowly add the brandy (especially if you have a gas stove).  Cook until the brandy is almost reduced.  While the brandy is reducing, mince the garlic.

When the brandy is almost reduced, reduce the heat to low and add the garlic, ghee and thyme.  Cook and stir until the ghee is melted and blended with the remaining brandy.

Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

*A note on mushrooms.  I do not wash mine, but I used a lightly damped towel to clean them off.  I have found that when you wash them with water, they take on the added moisture and then it takes too long to caramelize them and makes them too soft and mushy.



No comments:

Post a Comment