Thursday, August 7, 2014

Alaskan Rockfish.White Balsamic Herbed Butter Reduction.

If you are in the Des Moines area, I hope you order meat from Wallace Farms.  I love having accessing to grass fed meats and quality seafood.

The last couple of orders I have selected some of the Wild Alaskan Rock Fish...and it is heavenly.  It's mild and can be cooked a variety of ways...although I have yet to try a smoked version...hmmm.

Anyway,  during my monthly trip to Williams Sonoma I discovered a new surprise as well.  They now carry a white balsamic vinegar that honestly is one of the BEST I have ever had.  And I can assure you, I have had a lot.  I love the complexity of balsamic vinegars, the fruitiness, the tartness, all the while being smooth on the palate.  A good balsamic is defined not by whether or not it can be dipped, but only if you can sip it like you would a good port or scotch.  

I knew this would work perfectly with the rock fish, and that it did.

Alaskan Rockfish. White Balsamic Herbed Butter Reduction

4 rockfish filets
2 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 c. white balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. mixed herbs (thyme, basil, chives, italian parsley, tarragon)
1/4 c. butter
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Generously salt and pepper rockfish filets and place in pan.  Cook on each side about 5-7 minutes depending on thickness.  The rockfish will be done when the filet JUST starts to pull apart.

Remove and cover to keep warm and set aside to finish the sauce.  

Increase the heat to high, and add the vinegar and boil until it is reduced by half.  Reduce the heat to medium again and then add the butter, whisking constantly.  Strain the sauce to a container and then add back to the sauté pan.  Add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste. 

Serve over the fish.




3 comments:

  1. I love fish dishes... I will try this recipe.. thank you for this!
    http://bestpaleodietcookbook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend anyone to take a look at this. I feel it’s just a steal. It really is one of the best paleo recipe books we’ve come across!
    This blog is a great blog and great knowledge . I think it would be even better if it joined with knowledge in this blog .
    I suggest you follow this link to the video to guide you. THE PALEO GRUBS BOOK

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic recipe! 2nd time used coconut oil in place of olive and a coc oil butter (melt brand) and it was just as good. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete